Monday, August 23, 2010

Protecting your daughter

As my faithful readers know, I read both Cheaper By the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes this summer.  The biographical stories recount a time in America where society was led by the Judeo-Christian moral laws even if the citizens themselves did not profess Christ.  One such example that struck me as being so different in yesteryear versus today is the issue of modesty in female apparel.  The older daughters in the book always complained about how strict their father was in how they could dress, particularly on the beach.  They felt their outfits were dated and wished to wear the new suits and skirts so boys would notice them more. 
I wonder today how many fathers even feel that their daughter's clothing choice falls under their umbrella of responsibility?  I wonder how many professing Christian fathers just sweep this responsibility under the rug and hope that their daughter's immodesty issue will just go away? 
In today's culture, bathing suits have become more revealing than underwear.  Shirts show bellies and cleavage, shorts show booties, skirts show panties (if one is even wearing panties), and underwear has been made into decorative strings.  How ironic is it that in a culture that claims to be so incredibly liberating for women, that these women on a daily basis now prostitute their sexuality for the whole world to see?  Free to show my breasts, sure thing, but don't expect your male co-workers to be thinking about how liberated you are.  They are more likely thinking...well, you know what they are thinking. 
Teaching girls about modesty in apparel is something that should start at a young age.  Mom should introduce the topic and Dad should lay down the law when Mom's suggestions are ignored.  Modesty has different restrictions based on the culture, sure, but there are certain boundaries that ought not to be crossed in any culture.  Children need to look to Mom and Dad to lead them on this path of Biblical and cultural modesty. 
I am often shocked when I am on Facebook at what pictures young, Christian girls are putting up for the world to see.  I am sad that their parents allowed them to wear the garment in the first place, but to then put it on the Internet for all the teenage boys to see?  Not such a good idea.
I almost always do a facepalm when I see some of the youth at Church (not just my church, but everywhere I have gone) wearing outfits that will certainly distract the young (and older) Christian men in the service. Underwear should not be used as an accent to an outfit even if your bra straps are lime green.
Now, of course, the first response of someone being defensive would be to attack my clothing.  Certainly I know that I fail at modesty at times.  The Lord continues to push me and help me grow in this category of life.  But my sin cannot be used to justify yours.  We all need to peel the layer of lies away from our eyes and start to see the smut that our culture promotes.  Bikinis are not appropriate attire for a Christian woman.  Would you wear your Bikini to church?  I didn't think so (of course I realize that a one piece suit would be inappropriate as well and just plain funny).  Sisters in Christ, do not be fooled into thinking that the world's view of modesty is the same as our Lord and Savior's view.  Younger sisters, put on some clothes.  And if you are unsure if you have enough on, ask your parents and don't fight with them when they tell you need to add a layer.  Mothers, don't give into whatever the stores sell.  It is hard work, but you can find cute and modest apparel for your daughters.  Fathers, be men and protect your daughters.  Put your foot down even if that will make your daughter cry.  She's worth every single one of those tears.   
1 Timothy 2:9-10 Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness.

4 comments:

finsama said...

You know what is really annoying? How hard it is to find a one piece bathing suit for a little girl! Seriously, it's so hard. You have to dig through tons and tons of baby bikinis (ew, ew, ew!) until you finally manage to find one style of one piece bathing suit. For a baby/toddler. Seriously? Why? Why???

Sorry, I just had to vent that, as the mom of a little girl who is dressed modestly, and whose parents (both mom and dad) will never ever let her leave our house looking like a you-know-what.

I agree that it's important for both parents to lay down what is appropriate and what's not. I also think it's important for little girls to see their mothers dressed appropriately from day one. Mom shouldn't be rolling around town in mini skirts and low-cut tops. Adults need to learn to dress appropriately, so that children can see a good example. Hopefully the good example will hold more weight then the scantily clad pop stars of the day.

I have no problem with Lily wanting to be creative in her dress, or a tomboy, or whatever, as long as she is covering herself properly. My mom was strict about creative dressing, and that was stifling. I never wanted to dress in revealing clothing (because I didn't want boys/men looking at me with lust, ick!). I will only be strict about clothing when it comes to being covered, and that's for her own good. It's not just superficial. You know?

Lauren said...

Yes, I totally agree that being creative in clothing is totally fine as long as it is modest. I think our clothing should present our personalities. They should be a reflection of who we are. That's why I particularly want to encourage Christian girls to reflect their faith in their clothing.
Actually, I really appreciate all the points you made here and wish I had added them to my original post.

LadySody said...

Lauren I wrote a blog about modesty too! haha! I think I actually do do the face palm action at church, several times. Quite sad, especially because I know our church to be better than MOST heh. The lime green bra straps, swimsuit tan lines, dresses hugging every curve, stripper high heels, and so on!

I completely agree about the parent's role in raising a modest young lady. Until about my junior year in high school I had worn super baggy clothing, but then the boy-time hit me and I started wearing tighter clothing, not necessarily revealing skin, but revealing my form.

Girls don't understand that modesty is not just covering skin, guys like our form, the way we act sexy, our walk. Prude it up ladies!!!!! NOW!

Rachel Anne Moore said...

I really enjoy the "Modest Girls are the Hottest Girls" group on facebook for this reason. It is a shame that it has to be said (that common sense doesn't seem to factor into how many young women are dressing anymore) but wearing appropriate clothing and being who you really are is a whole lot sexier to guys than putting it all out there for the whole world to see. As an older lady at my church once put it (she was quite an awesome old sassy gal) "No one's gonna buy the cow when you can get the milk for free." The fact is, if we dress in a manner that we would be willing to meet Christ in, we can't go wrong. It doesn't necessarily mean dressing up all the time, it means not forgetting to get dressed. =)