Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mall-walking: naked, smelly, and embarrassing

The temperature has been very pleasant these past few days, but the overcast skies makes me weary of going outside with a 20 month old.  So, yesterday my solution was to walk around Ross Park Mall while pushing Noah in the stroller and then letting play at the play area in the center of the mall.  Well, the plan went pretty well, except that my visit reminded me of why I despise going to the mall. 
When you first enter the building you think, well the a/c is up a little too high, but at least I won't sweat.  But as soon as you get closer and closer to the center you realize that your little excursion at the mall has become an opportunity for all sorts of folks to proselytize you to death.  "Hey, Ladie, you like hand cream?"  "Want a massage?"  "What kind of facial scrub do you use?"   
The worst part of the second-rate shops in the center of the mall that have no enclosed space is that no matter what you do, you feel rude by your response and they never leave you alone.  I walked away this time not saying a thing, but that just makes me feel like a jerk.  A human just asked me a question and I can't even be polite enough to say "No thank you."  Well, actually I don't feel that bad, because when I have said, "no thank you" in the past, they just keep talking to me, even if I keep walking. 
As I circle around the long hallways of Ross Park Mall, I see Abercrombie & Fitch on my right.  I avert my eyes since the pictures in there are usually never wholesome.  But even though I look away, I am accosted by the perfume wafting through the airways.  I gag a little, roll my eyes, and walk as quickly as I can to oxygen. 
As I continue on my walk through the mall, I am visually assaulted by all the basically-naked women on the Victoria Secret and Soma Intimates.  I always have wondered why they feel the need to put naked pictures of women on their windows when a) I know what they are selling without the pictures b) women shop there, men are only forced to come in with their girlfriends.  I know what I look like without my shirt on and it is nothing like that picture up on the wall and no bra is going to change that.
After vomiting a little in my mouth passing the underwear shops, my eyes begin a second roll as I have to encounter round two of hearing I should, "try our wigs" or "do I want to learn Spanish?" shops.  Fortunately, two young ladies were right in front of me so they got the worst of it.  They took an approach I had not seen before and simply mocked the employees, literally pointing and laughing.  I felt like a jerk that I enjoyed their approach. 
Finally after walking the entirety of the mall, Noah and I went to the play area where Noah had a fabulous time climbing on baby-sized bridges and going down slides.  He made lots of friends, like always, and had a splendid time.  So, I guess all the stress of walking the mall was worth it in the end.  But, I don't know if I really want to go back.  I am sure I will, but it is beyond me as to why certain shops at the mall use the tactics they use.  When I am ready to buy something, I'll let you know.  Otherwise, back off, turn your scent down, and cover up a little bit, would you?   

2 comments:

finsama said...

Haha, yep! I hate those mall kiosks. Last time we were there, some woman asked me, "Do you straighten your hair?" There I am, with my curls on full display... yeah, lady. I said, "No thanks," and she looked all hurt! It was weird. Ugh.

Carole Canfield said...

Hi, Lauren!

It's all I can do to enter the mall here. There is just so much to be offended by in general. Even the idea of a mall - a place where all my selfish desires for stuff can be placated or at least enticed. I just hate it. So good to read your blog. Hope to come back more often to it! Miss you,dear one!

Love, Carole