Friday, September 10, 2010

Little Children, keep yourself from idols

Last Sunday evening, Brandon, Noah, and I attended a fellowship event at one of our church member's homes.  Appropriately named "Fired up for fellowship," there are many families, food, and bonfires!  We stuck closer to the miniature fire pit and stayed away from the bigger fire since we have a little one. 
Still, as we were eating, drinking, and keeping cozy by the fire, we had to remind Noah not to go near the flames.  We constantly had one hand on him (don't worry Pap Pap!), just in case he had a sudden whim to disobey us.  He was wearing a hoodie that evening, so I basically held on to his hood.  But this evening Noah was very obedient and all the extra precautions were ultimately unnecessary.   
As I sat around the fire, conversing with others while caring for my son, I realized that this must be a small glimpse as to what God is like in His love and protection for us, His children.  Noah has no idea why he can't touch the fire.  The fire is enticing and warm and lovely.  He has never been burned yet (thank the Lord), so he cannot understand what would happen if he did touch it.  All he knows is that Mom and Dad say not to touch, so he does not (not always the case obviously).  We tell him why not to touch- because it is "hot!"  Noah repeats "hot, hot, hot!," while pointing to the flame and then stays away.  He is much more enthralled that Mommy is allowing him to drink juice at the party- a rare treat indeed. 
Is this not a shadow of God and His love for me?  He has given me his commandments, I don't understand why all of them are to be obeyed, but He tells me why not to in words that I can understand, He keeps one hand on me at all times, especially in my infancy as a believer, and he keeps me safe from the flames of destruction.  When I obey him, He blesses me with a balm to my soul.
Now one day, Noah will be old enough to stand next to fire and I will not be holding on to him.  He will grow up and I will expect him to know better than to touch.  He will need to believe me without the safety net.  In regards to a fire, I expect he will not fail.  However, there will be other things less obviously painful than sustaining burns that he will need to learn away from my safety net.  I know at times he will succeed and other times he will fail.  I will mourn for the times he fails because he is my son and I love him.
As I am no longer in my infancy stage of Christianity, or at least I would like to believe that i have moved on to meat, God has "let go" on occasion.  I would like to say that I have succeeded more times than failed, but alas my Savior mourns because of me often.  I am more grateful than I can even know for Jesus.  His death atoned for my sins, so even though the 10 commandments are so very clear, I still need someone holding my hoodie.  Jesus keeps me safe from the eternal fires.    
 1 Tim 2:15 (NKJV) says, "Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self–control."  I have to admit that this verse used to always confuse me.  But now that I am a mother, I realize how true this verse is.  I can see so clearly with the eyes God has given me how patient and caring He is because I resemble that.  Of course, He is perfect and I am just a poor man's generic brand.
I am thankful for a God who loves me, who gives me evidence in my life as to how He loves me.  I am thankful that He gives me love for my son.  And I thankful that my son has an opportunity to know The Son through my love.  As Noah grows out of his infancy, may he know God not only through his parents, but through the Word, the Church, and sacraments.  And may he need his hoodie tugged less often than his Momma.     

5 comments:

LadySody said...

I truly enjoyed this, Lauren. I love your insight into these various topics you go over. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one who thinks such things, or worries, and etc.

Thanks :)

Please pray for me because I really need patience in having a child. It is one of my biggest desires, but Dave is not ready(according to him) :/

finsama said...

Great post, Lauren :-) we all need our hoodies tugged sometimes. That's part of our sinful and flawed nature.

Cobblestone173 said...

I OFTEN ENVISION GOD SMILING BRIGHTLY WHILE WATCHING NOAH PLAY & INTERACT WITH BOTH HIS FAMILY AND ALL OF THE CHILDREN & ADULTS THAT ARE AROUND HIM...NOAH SO REMINDS ME OF TWO OTHER YOUNG CHILDREN I HAVE HAD THE GREAT BLESSING OF WATCHING GROW UP...AND I KNOW THAT GOD, INDEED WAS LIKEWISE NEARBY...

AS I READ YOUR "LITTLE CHILDREN" MESSAGE WITH GREAT PRIDE...I DID FEEL THAT SAME WARM SMILE OF THE EVER CARING GOD OUR FATHER...SMILING...AT YOUR OWN GROWTH...TUGGING YOU CLOSER TO HIM...AND RELEASING YOU JUST NOW...SO THAT YOU COULD WRITE SO BEAUTIFULLY OF HIS STRONG HOLD ON THOSE WHO TRULY WISH TO BE AMONG HIS CHILDREN...AND THROUGH THE BLESSINGS OF PARENTHOOD ARE LIKEWISE GRASPING & FEELING EACH & EVERY DAY WHAT IT MEANS ...TO "ALSO" BE LOVING & PROTECTING PARENTS TO HIS CHILDREN...AND AS NOAH LOVES TO SAY...."AMEN"

PS: DON'T FORGET TO "BUNDLE UP" TONIGHT... LAUREN MY LITTLE DARLING...IT'S A LITTLE CHILLY OUT THERE !

Heidi said...

What a beautiful illustration of a very good thing to be reminded of.

Erica said...

That is weird. I read that exact same verse last week and was lost also. Good insight!