Saturday, September 03, 2011

A must-share recipe


I confess I am a health nut now. So, whenever I discover a recipe that is healthy and as yummy as dessert, I do a little happy dance. I am so ecstatic over this recipe, I decided you have to know about it too. This morning I made whole wheat pumpkin muffins, and boy howdy, did my family enjoy them.  Notice how we already ate half of them (there's a reason why this pic is cropped)?
So, why is this recipe a good fit for our family? Well, other than the obvious good taste factor, we don't eat white-flour products anymore since the body processes white flour like sugar. Also, the use of truvia allows something to taste sugary without actually using sugar.
And while pumpkin has natural sugars, I am able to offset the rise in blood sugar that would occur naturally with this fruit by adding walnuts (the oil and eggs also help with this). 

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Walnut Muffins (yields 12 large muffins):

1&1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 15 oz. can organic pumpkin
1/3 cup canola oil
2 eggs
3/4 cup truvia
2&1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Truvia,Natura's Calorie-Free Sweetener 1 Ounce Packages (Pack of 400)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with muffin cups.
In a medium sized bowl, combine wheat flour and baking powder. Stir and set aside.
In a large bowl combine pumpkin, oil, eggs, truvia, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. Stir together and then add dry ingredients, a third at a time. After all is mixed together, fold in walnuts. Fill up muffin cups 3/4 of the way. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

No comments: